View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 06:13 AM   #4
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Opening Day 2007

April 2, 2007

It's Opening Day and I can't help but think of the great Bob Ueker. Portraying the radio play-by-play for the Cleveland Indians in the movie "Major League" he says, "A lotta people say you can tell how a season's gonna go by the first hitter of the year." Hopefully we don't put too much stock into that.

Our rookie centerfielder Jermaine Mitchell grounded out to short on the first pitch of the game. So much for the leadoff man digging deep in the count and giving our other batters a chance to get a good look at some pitches. Oh well.

That at-bat pretty much set the tone for us against the Mariners. Felix Hernandez gave up one run in 5 innings of work, outpitching Rich Harden. The only excitement in this one came in the fourth inning when we had a 36-minute rain delay. We got soaked with a 4-2 loss.

Also of note since my last update, we've inked a few players to contract extensions:

C Jason Kendall - 2 years, $1.3 million

Util. Todd Walker - 1 year, $1.48 million

MR Kiko Calero - 3 years, $11.3 million

Kendall is in the final year of a 6-year, $55 million contract. I wanted to keep Jason around a couple more years so he can tutor our up-and-coming catching prospects, Kurt Suzuki and Jed Morris.

Walker is an extra bat and a great utility guy... he can play first, second, and third for us.

We locked up Calero for the next three years. At $3.78 mil a year, the price was a little steep, but we really needed to solidify our bullpen.
Hendu Style is offline   Reply With Quote