View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 07:08 PM   #36
Bub13
All Star Reserve

May, part 1

It's the merry month of May. We've got 29 games in 31 days, including nine interleague games. Let's get started with the first half of the month.

May 1-3 vs. MILWAUKEE
Another franchise that's become an afterthought every season. Just four playoff appearances, three division titles. MLB predicted them to vie for the Central title this year; so far they're 10-11. Pitching has been their undoing, ranking in the bottom quarter stat-wise across the board. Hitting has been decent, first in BA, 2nd in OBP, 6th in runs. Managed by Tommy Everidge, in his fourth year, after four years as their batting coach. In his 23 year career, he's never managed a team to the playoffs. They do have a happy owner, loyal fans, and a good (ranked 6th) farm system. They're led by two good young outfielders, Jesus Esparsa and Darius Arrington, and have former MVP Tyler Markey behind the plate. Injuries have hurt, losing SS Tyler Peek and 1B Doofus Hernandez for months, as well as big splash FA signee pitcher Bill Salazar for the season. And their pitching...only two pitchers on the current staff have an ERA below 4.50.

#23: WIN 7-2...Dunklee 3 hits, including 2B and HR...Brock pitches well, Dever gets the win after a 5-run 8th inning...42K attendance
#24: WIN 6-0...Little goes the distance, 5 hits, 7 K...Dunklee strains a hammy, is dtd for 1-2 weeks; probably won't DL him...42K again
#25: LOSS 4-9...Wunderlich was awful: 0K, 8 H, 7 ER, 5.2 IP...43K showed up, so that's good

Was hoping for a sweep, but oh well. Was also hoping that Wunderlich wouldn't continue his one-step-forward-one-step-back routine, but again...oh well. Dunklee's injury is a concern, but we need his big bat, and his swing isn't affected. Plus, he doesn't run anyway.

May 4-6 @ TEXAS
Currently at 14-12, in fourth, 1.5 games back. Managed by Drew Saylor, in his fifth year at the helm (plus two as BC). Rangers aren't doing anything particularly well so far, except hitting home runs (39 in 26 GP). 1B Raul Molina leads the team in hitting, but he'll miss the first two games with a hand injury. RF Sean Holliday (2034 AL ROY) is also solid, as is power pitcher deluxe Mike Rath (though struggling with a K/9 under 10 for the first time). We'll see him in game #3.

Trainer Jordan Villalobos informs me on the 4th that Mullen will be out for 2-3 weeks with a torn quad. You'd think that would be worse than a 2-3 week injury...We call up 2034 2nd rounder Josh Robertson for his first stint in the bigs.

#26: LOSS 1-2...Clark gives up 3 hits in 8 IP, but a 2-run HR...we load the bases in the 9th but can't score
#27: WIN 11-7...DiFranco has a bad, bad outing...Miranda's bases loaded triple in the 9th was the difference
#28: WIN 3-1...Edgar Martinez 2-run HR in the 10th wins the game...Brock pitches well, bullpen yields just 2 hits in 4 IP

Overall, a pretty good series. We lost our best-pitched game. Robertson went 0-for-9. Groff comes back tomorrow, so JR will return to AAA.

May 7-10 vs. SEATTLE
The Mariners are 15-13, third place, 2 games back. Justin Gernoll is their manager, an MLB rookie. According to MLB, they have the #1 LF in Jose Basulto, and #2 CF in Mike Wapner. Sadly (for them), both are out for this series. That's probably why they have one of the worst offenses in the AL right now. Pitching is currently league best, giving up the fewest runs, despite missing 2 starters and 2 relievers with injuries. We'll get to see former Cy Young winner Mike Shilvock in game 2, and current ace Aaron Myers in game 1. Neither are overpowering, but still dominate.

#29: WIN 5-4...Little goes 7 strong innings, is now 5-0...Drayton gets the GW hit in the 7th
#30: LOSS 3-4...Wunderlich throws a strong game, but our pen blows it in the 9th...Dunklee's injury is worse, his return to full strength now listed as "unknown"
#31: WIN 8-3...A four-run first is all we need, but we add more for good measure...Clark goes 7 strong innings
#32: LOSS 1-3...DiFranco outdueled by George McVay...Groff hits his 8th HR

We're now 19-13, one game behind Oakland. Four of our five starting pitchers have ERA over 4, and yet we're 3rd in the AL in starters ERA. As I said above, Dunklee's injury time is now listed as "unknown." Yet he's still hitting the tar out of everything (HR are down though), so I'm reluctant to put him on the DL. I hope this doesn't come back to bite me.

May 11-14 @ LA ANGELS
LA is 7-3 in their last 10, bringing their record up to 15-17, five games back. Average offense, no home runs, and subpar pitching, especially their bullpen. Near-bottom defensive efficiency as well. Three-time MVP and likely future Hall of Fame catcher Jarod Grose is the leading hitter; Erik (not Elvis) Presley is pitching well (5-1, 2.74). Former career minor league OF Reggie Pruitt is the manager, in his first full season (he went 42-43 last year).

#33: LOSS 2-5...Brock struggles again; I need to do something about this staff soon...Miranda goes down for a week with an arm injury
#34: WIN 2-0...Little dominates again, over 7.2 innings...Collins hits a 2-run GW shot in the 10th to send everyone home
#35: WIN 10-6...I moved Groff back up to #2 and he hits a double and a homer...we get 19 hits...Wunderlich is fair, but good enough
#36: LOSS 1-2...Clark is unlucky again, pitching 6 strong innings but getting the loss...LA gets just 3 hits

We're 21-15, still one game back of Oakland; 6-4 in the last ten games. Our team stats are pretty good, with only stolen bases lagging behind (big deal). And yet...I'm dissatisfied with our rotation, as I think Bobby Little (1.42 ERA) is carrying the other four. As long as we keep hitting, I'll give them a little more time to figure things out. But by the end of the month...things could change. Run differential is now +33.

INJURY update: IF Ervin Miranda will be back in four days; SS Jim Mullen in a week; CL Jack Shewmake has less than two months now, but he'll need rehab so it'll be July before he returns. SP Brady Dunne still has a year to go.

Next up: May, Part 2
Bub13 is offline   Reply With Quote