View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #16
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMatt View Post
Not blaming.

I have a bunch of old ring mags - nothing from 1957 although I have a couple from 55, one from 54, and several from 1959. So I started thumbing through them in anticipation of your uni and Durelle stuck out right away. Yeah, he was a Cruiser but he fought his share of heavies. Looks like he really hit his stride by the middle of 1957 - before that he lost several fights to lesser heavies - probably why he wasn't ranked in the top 20.
Just checked my old copy of The Ring. Pompey was ranked number four light heavy at the start of 1957, but Durelle didn't make the top fifteen--he was in the next grouping, Class A. I bought a bio on him over twenty-five years ago when visiting Canada. Real interesting guy! Don't know what happened to the darn book.

One of the many interesting things about this era was you had some pretty decent guys in the light heavyweight ranks--Pompey, Pastrano, Durelle, Harold Johnson, etc. who could move up in weight and not give too much up---Patterson was pretty light by today's heavyweight standards.

BTW, as I'm going through this old ring, even Willi Besmanoff is listed as a light heavy---he's number six!!!

Thanks for offering some comments at this early part of the sim. I hope you'll continue to contribute in the future.

I've already simmed my first fight---Ingemar Johansson vs a very old Ezzard Charles--intresting matchup. I want to sim a few more and then post at some point this weekend.
professordp is offline   Reply With Quote