View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #12
MorrisButtermaker
Minors (Single A)

a claification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
many negro league teams had 2 or 3 squads traveling about using the same name at the same time. if you ponder on that for a bit you might realize the basic premise probably means nothing.
I just looked more into this. Of the 41 games they played vs. Negro League teams in 1946, nine were against teams that did NOT play in the Negro American or National Leagues. Four of these nine were against the Cincinnati Crescents who were a very good team. Still, perhaps the 13% and 19% figures were a bit misleading. Nonetheless, I would have expected those numbers to be much higher than 13% and 19%. It could be that the Bushwicks white competition was much stronger than one might have guessed. That the Bushwicks played about 95% of their games at home also skews the numbers a bit.

I am not pretending to have the answers. I am just pondering questions. I do think that if you are interested enough to click on that link I posted earlier in the thread that provides a list of the players on the Bushwicks in 1946 you can see just how much talent the team had to put up against the Negro Leagues teams.

Last edited by MorrisButtermaker; 05-06-2019 at 08:41 PM.
MorrisButtermaker is offline   Reply With Quote