View Single Post
Old 02-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #124
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I have some fun pitchers to watch right now. Dave Steib, Fernando Valenzuela, Robin Roberts, Whitey Ford and Johan Santana. Eddie Ciccotte as well. Cicotte had a great season in 85. Ron Darling Sid Fernandez and Geoff Zahn are also in the league. Mickey Lolich is having a nice career.
My HoF SP so far include Ewell Blackwell, Jim Bunning (hey there's another RL Tiger for ya! ), David Cone, Don Drysdale, Zack Greinke, Tim Hudson, Bret Saberhagen, Michael Wacha, and Lon Warneke. All nine of them are right handed. Steve Carlton will break that when he eventually retires. Steve Rogers should make ten eventually (another righty!), then Alex Cobb, Lefty Gomez (finally a lefty! and will go in as a Tiger), and Dutch E Leonard. Bunning, Rogers, and Cobb will all go in as Philadelphia Athletics, so that team's been blessed with the best years of some great pitchers, and they've used it to their advantage, going to the playoffs 12 times in 31 years (tied for most playoff appearances with the Pittsburgh Pirates - I take the top two teams in the American and National Leagues every year).

Right now (1932), the Tigers have a lineup that is the envy of the baseball world. DH Irish Meusel (.314, 10 HR, 54 RBI after 79 games) hits second, CF Mickey Mantle (.348, 23 HR, 62 RBI) hits third, LF Duffy Lewis (.324, 12 HR, 71 RBI) hits fourth, and RF Tom Brunansky (.294, 24 HR, 71 RBI) hits fifth. SS Kevin Elster has chipped in with 11 HR and 47 RBI out of the number eight slot. This has allowed them to bludgeon the opposition for 5.75 runs per game (sheesh!), and they sit atop the American League by 1 game over the always dangerous New York Yankees (7 World Championships so far, despite getting to the playoffs "only" 11 times). I'll give you one guess as to what the Tigers' weakness is...That's right...They've got a freakin' hand grenade brigade for a bullpen...A 5.22 ERA, which is obviously not the envy of the baseball world. We'll see if they can continue to brutalize the opposition all the way to the playoffs, or if that kerosene fire will burn them in the end.

Last edited by actionjackson; 02-24-2016 at 02:44 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote