Thread: Budgeting
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
IAmC
Major Leagues

Budgeting

OK, I really don't understand how budgeting works with the difference between money available for extensions vs. free agents.

I had a budget of $55,000,000. My Player Payroll was $45,243,069. My $ for Extensions was $-3,928,807 while my $ for Free Agents was $7,604,624.

I had a player who was in the last year of their contract (at $440,000) who I could not negotiate with because of my budget for Extensions. Since I wasn't going to be able to free up over $4 million in payroll (especially to sign a utility player), I decided to take a chance to release him and try to re-sign him as a free agent (hoping for a loophole). However, when I did, it still didn't let me try to re-sign him, even though he presumably would be under the $ for Free Agents budget and he did give a dollar figure for signing ($600,000). To add insult to injury, the next day, he was signed by my #1 rival at half the salary that I was paying him!

So, I would like to know:
1) What's the rationale behind a difference of over $10 million between a free agent budget and an extensions budget? For that matter, why can I add a free agent at $7 million when I can't extend my $440,000 player by one year?
2) If my Player Payroll is over $9 million below my total Budget, why can't I sign a player to an extension that would add only a fraction of that difference (over future years, even)?
3) How are these numbers calculated, anyway?
4) Why couldn't I sign my former player as a free agent?
IAmC is offline   Reply With Quote