View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

19th century league project

We all know that 19th century baseball is one of the hardest things to reproduce in ootp. Though the game gives you the opportunity to start a 19th century league , the tradeoff is that it is not completely accurate. Some of us oldies are well aware of the workarounds to get a more accurate replay. One example is team movement. With the game it follows a path that was needed in order to let new people progress easily to the AL and NL merger. Lets not forget that it took some convincing to get Markus to add 19th century play to the game. I think it was something that was shown by us members that it could be put it in the game and not something that was intended. So I think the challenge remains for us to improve it. That is why I created this thread. For us all to gather ideas and see what we can do.

To start with here are my suggestions. I think we need to make a startup league for each of the professional leagues before the merger. I think these leagues need to be able to use the AL and NL abbreviation separately from another league. Reason is the game doesn’t recognize AA abbreviation as far as I know. Once you start a league the game will follow the team progression even if you have an odd number of teams. You just can create a league with an odd numbered of teams.

Well what about duplicate players? Well that’s why each startup league needs its own teams and Master file in the database. In the teams file we should eliminate any teams that played during the life of that league. For example with the UA in 1884 you would eliminate the NL & AL teams. For the Master file we need to have each file with only the rookies that played in that league. I already have done this though there may be a few I missed. But if we have rookies for each league then you can concentrate on transactions.

Transactions are a key to 19th century leagues. If you have accurate rosters the chances are better to have more accurate stats. I think transactions can someday be done automatically but for now they should be simple. A player is either retired, unretired, released or signed. This would eliminate roster problems. If it was the actual roster and worked then it should work in ootp unless you play a 162 game season with injuries set high.
The problem with that is that teams will sign players as soon as you proceed to the offseason if there is no expansion draft. The solution is too have an expansion draft. Before the draft you will have to make all protection lists but if you follow a transaction list for retired, unretired, release and signed players then all the players left on the roster should be on the protected list. Then you run the expansion draft. The computer will not draft any free agents. After that the rookies should import to the correct teams.

One important thing is that you each team should have a human manager in control of signing and releasing players. Why not just create all the historical managers and put them in the game as an addon?

Im sure other people have ideas and found things that work and don’t work. I was just curious if anybody else would be interested in trying to make 19th century play better.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote