View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 10:46 AM   #10
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

There really isn't a cut and dried rule or magic formula. If there is, then FHM4 just becomes Spreadsheet Hockey Manager(tm).

I'm just speaking from my 30+ years of hockey playing, coaching and watching experience about the skills that best translate to roles. When I played, my coach generously described my skating as 'mobility issues', Even though I had a decent shot, I was never going to be any type of goal scorer because I wouldn't be able to get myself in a good position to shoot very often.

You can't discount the basic stats, like skating, stickhandling and balance for any of the roles, except maybe for a pure enforcer.

Check the scouting reports out for your players, too. You may find interesting nuggets in there about roles for which they'd be best suited.

And sometimes, even in real life, things just don't fit the way everyone thinks they should. The Isles drafted Bertuzzi to be a power forward. They had him work with one of the greatest power forwards of all times, Clark Gilles, and still he just didn't fit that role well until much later in his career.
Torgonius is offline   Reply With Quote