View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 10:33 PM   #148
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Now when we beat the Cincinnati Reds in the Perfects Series last seasons a lot of interesting things happened in the postseason but 4 in particular come to mind:

1. We didn't have a breeze in any of the series. Our final postseason record was 11-7 and we were down 2-1 in the best of 5, winning the last 2...down 2-1 in the CS, winning the last 3, and we were down 3-2 in the World Series, winning the last 2.

2. Everything was set up for Vida Blue pitching game 6 & Lefty Grove pitching game 7 of the World Series...I more or less strictly planned on using these 2 pitchers in game 6 & game 7 if necessary...But as the game approached, I couldn't quite bring myself to start Blue in game 6... I decided to start David Cone (100)...He had a pretty good year, especially W-L wise, but clearly my best 3 starters were Seaver, Blue & Grove...But I started Cone, logged out of the game, figured the series was over only to return to the game to see that Cone had pitched a shutout and there would be a game 7.

3. We won game 5 of the World Series on a Rey Ordonez walk-off single in the 10th inning after the Reds had the game in their glove in the bottom of the 9th on a routine fly ball...the outfielder dropped the ball, we tied the game up, and Rey won it in the 10th.

4. We won game 7 of the World Series, 1-0. It was a 13-inning game and a Christian Yelich home run in the top of the 13th accounted for the only score. The starter, Vida Blue, held the Reds scoreless again, and 5 relievers combined to shut them out for the rest of the game.
Attached Images

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote