View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #14
ryanivr
All Star Reserve

Here's my take on positions and what I look for.

Starting Pitcher: In modern day leagues, you'll want to have 5 of these guys on the roster. They'll take turns through the rotation. There's different thoughts on how to build a rotation. Some people like to have that defined #1 ace, some rather use their resources to get two very good pitchers, and some prefer to spread it out over all five. For me? I always want to have two good starters.

The other thing you're looking for is the number of pitches they throw. The theory here is that it's not necessarily stamina that allows a pitcher to pitch deep into the game (although it DOES matter, as the guy's arm will eventually get tired), but how well they can keep opposing lineups off balance. Think about it like this: The first time through the opposing teams lineup will probably be fine with two pitches. But once they get to the third time through the lineup in the 5th and 6th inning, the opposing team will know what to look for.

In real-world terms, I've heard David Price of Tampa Bay say that he somtimes doesn't throw his changeup until the third time through the lineup, because his fastball and slider are so good he doesn't need it until the opposing team is getting used to them.

As far as the actual ratings go for pitchers:

Stuff: In general, the nastiness of the pitches. This ties in with strikeouts.
Movement: This ties in with how many or few homeruns the pitcher gives up.
Control: Ties in with walks.

Relief Pitchers/Closers: These guys vary. The general theory on bullpen use is a hot topic, especially when it comes to closers. But essentially, it boils down to high, mid, and low leverage situations.

You're in the field, the bases are loaded, it's the bottom of the 9th inning, there's no outs, and you're up by 1 run. That's a very high leverage situation. A walk, a hit, an error, a deep groundout, a deep flyball, etc, etc, etc will get a run in. So you want your best relief pitcher out there.

You're in the field, it's the start of the 8th inning and your team is up by 6. That's a low leverage situation. You can throw out your mop-up guy and be okay 99% of the time.

It's all about mixing and matching your talent with the leverage of the situation.

The other factor is handedness. If they have a lefty coming up and you need an out badly, maybe you bring in your best lefty pitcher rather than your best pitcher in general.

Infielders coming...
ryanivr is offline   Reply With Quote