View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Baseball Noob - would appreciate some pointers

Hi, I purchased OOTP 12 last night after a brief discussion on here with some forum members. I think due to the server crashing last night, my initial thread has disappeared.

Recapping, I'm a total noob to baseball. I have a understanding of the rules, but none of the nuances of the game and even less about the intricacies of roster management, and absolutely nothing about what attributes or stats are important for each position.

So far my initial trepidation about my ability to fathom the game out seem to be well founded. I am finding myself overwhelmed with the plethora of choices, screens and how to utilise them.
I've tried accessing the online manual via the game but it doesn't work? I just get an internet browser open up with the following message appearing.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '{' in /srv/www/vhosts/ootpdevelopments.com/subdomains/manuals/httpdocs/tools2.php on line 1284

Can anyone explain this? Is the manual not yet available?

Also would appreciate some pointers to both some
  • essential information I should read to help me get a grip on some must have knowledge
  • a recommendation on what game setup I should go with first to enable me to get my feet wet so to speak but that would not overwhelm me.
  • any other hints or tips for a complete noob like myself
I really love the seemingly endless depth to the game, however given my lack of baseball background it is also this feature that is making it such a daunting task for me to absorb.

Currently I've started a game in the Major's as a Commissioner and Manager with the NY Mets. I figured I would learn more by starting with a battling team as opposed to one with a pennant chance.
But boy... I found myself just delegating everything to the AI, because I just didn't have a clue what I was doing, and unable to really get a grasp both on what areas of the team needed help, let alone what sort of roster decisions would help.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot; 07-16-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote