View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 10:17 AM   #13
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

I still haven't got around to introducing you to my team so I should do that now. As I mentioned earlier I have a good minor league system but not a single player in the top 20 report of hitters or pitchers. Although, I disagree with that report as I feel that my 26 year old left fielder Bud Rogers should be on the list. So let's start with Rogers and my outfield. If you want to look at my organization more closely you can always view the league html pages here.

OUTFIELD
Bud Rogers hails from Provo, Utah and played his college ball at Mississippi. The Kings took him in the 9th round of the 1920 draft and after a couple of minor league seasons he made his big league debut during the 1923 season, appearing in 22 games. In 1924 he was a backup and hit .292 in 81 games (just 21 starts) but he took over the starting job on opening day this past season when the Kings traded leftfielder Huck Monahan to the New York Gothams for 3B Hal Lucas. All Rogers did in his first season as an everyday player was lead the Continental Association in batting average (.348) and doubles (47). He is the only player I would consider a superstar on our roster.

In centerfield we have 28 year old Larry Cox, a Colorado native who was Brooklyn's first round pick back in 1916 out of the high school ranks. He just finished his fifth full season as the Kings centerfielder and led the CA in stolen bases (48) for the second time in his career. Cox hit .330 and topped the league in hits with 213 and runs scored. I have no idea why but I see that his morale is very unhappy - hope I can solve that as I see him being productive for a number of years.

My rightfielder Clarence Hall is also a University of Mississippi product and played 3 years alongside Rogers before being drafted in the 9th round by Montreal in 1920. The Saints released him and we picked him up as a minor league free agent. Like Rogers, he is 26 and made his Continental Association debut this past season, hitting .352 with 7 homers in 102 games.

Outfield is certainly an organization strength as my 3 starters are all in their prime with one rated superstar and the other two above-average (on my personal organization depth chart).

As big league backups I have a pair of veterans in 34 year old George T Johnson and 32 year old Billy Geier who I consider to be solid backups. In the system I have 3 players in their early twenties I rate as above average prospects plus one I see as a future major league average player and two others I see as future major league back-ups. I also just drafted Doug Lightbody - another Mississippi product - who I and my scout feel has potential to be a superstar and Lynn Randall out of the LSU who could be at least a major league average player down the road.

I also recently dealt one of my good outfield prospects to Toronto recently so it really is a position of strength for the organization.

CATCHER
I go to catcher next because I believe it is my next strongest position. I added two good prospects in the draft with the 4th round pickup of high schooler Tom Aiello and the 5th round addition of Bill Smith from Dartmouth. (Keep in mind I still need to sign all my picks.) I also have a 19 year old by the name of Joe Cameron who was a third round pick last year out of high school in Chicago. Cameron hit .248 at Class A Omaha as a rookie and I see him as having above average major league potential.

In AA and AAA (at least that's where I plan to start them) I have a couple of players in Dave Armstrong (23) and Clay Vega (25). I think both have potential to be major league average players but they are stuck behind 24 year old Mickey Dowell - a 1919 first round pick from Houston. Dowell is an above average catcher who hit .287 with 5 homers and 75 rbi's in his first full major league season this past year. My scout thinks his defense - which was average I would say - and power will improve with maturity.

Something I have noticed is a lot of players in my organization are unhappy or angry. I can see backups or older minor leaguers being so but even guys like Dowell who is a starter and playing well is unhappy.

Leads to two questions:

1- Should I be concerned?
and
2- How do I fix it?
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote