View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #6
battists
Hall Of Famer

2026 Pre-Season Outfielder Preview

Outfielders
Not sure what it is about this team. I have like 15 right-handed infielders, and like 8 left-handed outfielders. Not ideal. But I definitely have some hitters!

Daniel Davis
Another Hermosillo vet. This will be his fourth season here, and he has already played over 200 games at this level, hitting to a .260/.323/.376 clip. Not amazing, but not a complete liability either. Last year he hit .320/.390/.462, so here's hoping he has turned a corner. And with that kind of production last season, he's going in the starting lineup for me! He's really fluid in the outfield and on the base paths, too. While I don't think he's a five-tool guy, there's enough to work with here.

Victor Gutierrez
International complex player from Venezuela, who, like Davis, will be in his fourth season in Hermosillo. Unlike Davis, however, Gutierrez hasn't found his bat. Whether it's here or in a brief stint in low A ball last year, he's a consistent .200 hitter. The scouts seem to think he will continue to develop. We'll see. He's competent in the outfield, but not a rock star out there.

Dennis Bergeron
Rookie outfielder from Connecticut who is working his butt off. Great, powerful arm out there, and can cover some ground, but needs to work on his concentration. Already looks at least comfortable in all three spots out there. Hit .277 with some pop in his one year of college ball. Good speed on the base paths too.

Glenn Payne
6th round pick from 2025. Played in 55 games last year and hit a measley .205. But a cheetah on the bases. Just wish he could get there more. For a guy with such raw speed, you'd think he could get to more balls in the outfield, but just doesn't seem to have great range. Really nice arm, though. We're gonna throw some people out this season.

Rich Ferris
Third season at Hermosillo. Got a few PA in his first season, but really tore it up last year with a full-time role, to the tune of .323/.398/.497, probably the best slash I've seen so far. Won the MVP last year! He's great on the bases and a pretty solid outfielder too.

Alfonso Martinez
Wow, another left-handed outfielder, what a surprise! Martinez is from the DR, just up from the international complex, so we don't have much to go on, but the scouts see him as a solid contact hitter. He also has a great outfield arm, and looks like he has the flexibility to play a little infield if necessary too.

Likely Starters

Left Field - Rich Ferris
Center Field - Alfonso Martinez
Right Field - Daniel Davis