View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 09:35 AM   #10
G-Force
All Star Starter

Joe Maddon

Maddon's a great guy to look at for this because the perception is that he's very hands on. As such, he should probably yield more "non-average" ratings than many others. The numbers bear this out.

Yet it also demonstrates a caution of employing other factors into the mix.

The numbers themselves (again, for our initial purposes we'll consider anything between .95 and 1.05 "average").

Stealing: 1.2
Sac bunts: 1.03
Pinch hitting: 1.35
Aggressive baserunning: 1.04
L/R matchups: 1.06

So the numbers certainly support the perception of Maddon as an involved, hands-on manager. That said, we need to be a bit careful.

Look at stealing...From 2006-2012 Maddon employed the stolen base a TON. His SBA were from 36% to 71% above the AL average. Having Carl Crawford stealing 50 bags a season certainly influenced that.

But...from 2013-2017, Maddon's teams - his last couple years with the Rays and his 3 with the Cubs - have attempted to steal BELOW the league average 4 of 5 years (2015, his first year with the Cubs was the exception).

So did Maddon's philosophy change or was it just a matter of personnel, not having a threat like Crawford to deploy.

I'm inclined to think it's a personnel issue and that Maddon, if he had his way, would steal plenty. In 2011, the year after Crawford left the Rays, the Rays still attempted 37% more steals than the league average and ended up with 7 players in double digit steals. This is further supported by the fact that Maddon's teams in his 12 seasons managing have taken the extra base at or above the league average 10 out of 12 seasons, which supports the notion of an aggressive approach on the basepaths.

I won't know how many clicks above to use until I get into testing things a bit more, but it seems safe to say Maddon will be at or above average pretty across the board on the offensive side of things.

GH

Check out my Dynasty Threads

The Alltime Hockey Association
The Alltime Baseball League
Austin James: Playing For His Life (a Vietnam-era baseball drama)
The Pastime Boxing Association
G-Force is offline   Reply With Quote