View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 01:40 AM   #8
Izz
Hall Of Famer

2021 Finals and Championship

The Christchurch Cowboys played the Adelaide Venom in one round of the Division Finals, getting over them 3-1. The Cowboys hit 8 HR during the series, in contrast to the Venom's 1. This wouldn't have been surprising, as the Cowboys led the AUNZBL in HR during the regular season, hitting 221, nearly 50 more than their closest rival.

In the other Finals series, the Canberra Cavalry defeated the Brisbane Bandits 3-0 to book their first trip to the Championship in their first playoff appearance.

Championship

In an epic 7-game series, the Cavalry came from 2-3 down to win 3 in a row, the final 2 in Christchurch, to clinch the series 4-3.

Slugger of the Series went, surprisingly, to losing Cowboys CF Luke Speed, who went .364/.364/.667 in 33 ABs, hitting 3HR and driving in 6 in the process. Those numbers were down on his overall post-season stats, where in 51 PA he went .375/.412/.750 with 5HR, 9RBI, and 3dbls. His post-season OPS+ was 223. That wasn't enough to get his team home, as the Cavalry showed real team spirit and fight. An article from the era states that the Cavalry were the definition of 'team' that season, both on and off the field, whereas the Cowboys had "too many superstars and not enough of that glue known as team spirit."

Hurler of the Series went to Cavalry ace Bob Stone who, although second in the rotation, had gone 17-9 throughout the regular season. In the Championship series he went 2-0 across 2 starts, throwing 17 innings and allowing only 11 hits and walking 2. A groundball pitcher, he only struck out 6, with an ERA of 1.06.
Attached Images

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report

Last edited by Izz; 09-08-2014 at 04:46 AM.
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote