View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

American-Ethnic Namesets

These are namesets for American ethnic groups that I use in leagues based in the US. In other words, these are namesets for ethnic groups in the US, not foreign nations. The major changes are:
  • All diacritical marks (umlauts, accents, etc.) are deleted;
  • Spellings are "Americanized";
  • Names that likely wouldn't have survived the "Americanization" process (especially difficult Slavic names) are omitted entirely;
  • Surnames are limited to those that are native to that ethnic group (for my views on this point, see here);
  • First names are thoroughly "Americanized" - players with foreign-sounding first names are assumed to adopt American nicknames (e.g. "Luigi" becomes "Lou," "Stanislaus" becomes "Stan").
So, for instance, the German-American nameset wouldn't be appropriate for Germany because names such as "Müller" are changed to "Mueller."

The surnames are drawn from sources on the internet, and I will provide references. The first names are more subjective. In general, I consider the first names to be appropriate for the period from 1870 to roughly 1960. After that, names became more homogenized. For instance, if Troy Tulowitzki had been born in 1924 instead of 1984, his first name would have been Wally or Gus, not Troy. And while I base frequency figures for surnames on the sources, the name frequencies for first names are completely subjective and impressionistic. Feel free to change them to your own liking.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote