Thread: Orcin's Story
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #17
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Player Analysis: Summary

I am pretty happy with the pitching staff, especially the front end of the rotation and the back end of the bullpen. One or two relievers can be traded for help elsewhere and to lighten the payroll a little. The offense needs some work, but at least there is one young star (Wright) plus a veteran star (Campbell) to anchor the lineup. The offense was near the bottom of the league last year, so it takes priority over upgrading the pitching. The most glaring need is catcher. I will head to the winter meetings with a collection of assets looking to land a quality catcher.

You may notice that I have yet to mention the minor league talent. That’s because I haven’t even looked. I need to get my new scout on board first, and give him some time to evaluate things. It will be tight to get that done before the Rule 5 draft, so protecting the older players in the system will get priority.

Urgent Task List:
1. Negotiate an extension with Murat (can’t go with only one catcher!)
2. Make a decision on a second left-handed starter (Hayes or Gilbert or neither)
3. Negotiate a long-term extension with SP Ron McLain
4. Organize the 40-man roster for Rule 5 draft risks/opportunities
5. Complete team personnel hiring (offers have been made)
6. Study the possible free agent list for catcher, center fielder, lefty pitchers
7. Work on a trade for a catcher if no obvious free agent to be available

Otto Orcin
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote