Thread: Orcin's Story
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #16
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Player Analysis: Outfielders

My system calls for a center fielder that is superb defensively with speed. Ideally he bats at the top of the order somewhere (1, 2, or 3). I want corner outfielders with power to bat in the middle of the order. You can’t always get what you want, but sometimes…

RF Silas Campbell (33, bats R) – there had to be a “best player” in here somewhere, career stats: 1600 games, 346 HR, 987 RBI, .277/.359/.501, three-time All-Star, drafted 1989 round 1 by Louisville, signed a five-year contract extension in May 2000 for $90M, now the good news… 2000 stat line .278/.354/.524, All-Star, VORP of 37.8 – so he has not declined a bit, range is gone but still a good defender, a classic middle of the order run producer

LF Harry Hall (24, bats L) – was drafted #1 in 1997 by Louisville and has all the tools except a weak arm, rushed through the minors and has yet to put it together in the majors, projects as a #3 hitter but I want my new scout to have a good look at him before I attempt to buyout his arbitration years with a long-term extension

I wish the rest of the news were this good. I am just going to list the next best 5-6 outfielders in no particular order.

LF Ron Schultz (29, bats L) – last 3 years stat line is .270/.360/.460, great defense, below average speed, Type B free agent who made $10M in 2000 and wants 9 years at $18M, greed rating is “very high”, Hall makes Schultz expendable so will offer arbitration at 10M to get the draft pick

CF/RF Marcos Sosa (25, bats L) – career stats .259/.309/.354 in 500 games, 148 career steals with 81% success rate, great defense, could be a #2 hitter but needs a better OBP, prior GM offered arbitration at $3.9M estimate but I am not keen on that

CF Brian Smith (25, bats R) – has most of what I want in a CF: very good speed, great defense, high contact and low K’s, good power too, but… terrible eye and has yet to hit for a decent average, CBA stat line: 167 games, .219/.254/.348 with 6 SB

CF Mark Mann (25, bats R) – decent contact hitter with average power and speed, great defense, plays all three outfield spots well, could be a great fifth outfielder, looked good in late season call-up

RF Salvador Dias (25, bats R) – Cuban defector with better than average ratings, looks to have some power potential, no speed, might be a good bench player

Bottom line: Campbell and Hall will start at the corners. Sosa might be the best option in center field, but Smith and Mann will compete for the spot. A trade for a top-shelf center fielder might be an option also. I would like to find a fourth outfielder that bats left to come off the bench. Sosa could be that player if he doesn’t start but the price is high.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote