Thread: Orcin's Story
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #12
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Player Analysis: Relief Pitchers

Matt “Hawkeye’ Head (27, throws R) – closer acquired in mid-season trade, shutdown stuff and movement, decent control, keeps the ball down (76% GB), signed for one more year at $10M, should be an All-Star for somebody but maybe not us at that price

Mike MacIntosh (29, throws R) – closer ratings, both pitches are 10’s, could make Head an expendable trade asset, arbitration eligible and offered $1.7M for one year extension by prior GM, good candidate for a long-term extension

Josh Atkins (34, throws R) – solid middle reliever who could pass for a setup man but he has a hefty contract ($6.5M for 2 more years) for a middle reliever

Kaz Mizuno (27, throws R) – another pitcher with elite stuff and movement but only average control, groundball pitcher (72%), could easily fill setup role

David O’Daniel (24, throws R) – this guy may eventually be the best of the bunch, still developing, combines devastating stuff/movement with very good control

Kelly Dean (24, throws R) – a clone of O’Daniel minus 10-15% stuff but still really good

Jason Gray (26, throws L) – could be a good LOOGY but is prone to homers, has yet to get out of AAA

Chris Patterson (26, throws L) – really is a good LOOGY with low WHIP and high GB%

Bottom line: This has the potential to be a great bullpen if organized properly, but it is missing a solid lefty option. Head and Atkins are almost certain to be traded because they are just too expensive at a combined $16M. Head should bring us a major league starter or a very good prospect.

The projected six-man bullpen would be MacIntosh (closer), Mizuno (setup), O’Daniel, Dean, a lefty to be named later, and Patterson. The seventh spot (I will carry twelve pitchers) will probably be filled by the sixth starter in a swingman role. I like to have a long man for extra innings and early-game injuries.

I will be on the lookout for a strong late-inning lefty reliever.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote