Thread: Orcin's Story
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

October 9, 2000

Henry Cooper gathered his family together for a grand dinner to celebrate the Louisville Colonels’ great 2000 season. The Colonels finished 86-76 to win the Federal League’s Midwest Division by eight games. Yes, they came up short in the post-season, but the team was clearly on the way up. Life was good!

Gordon Cooper sat brooding at the other end of the table. He later admitted to having too much wine, but he couldn’t stand this ignorant optimism any longer. Gordon quieted the room with his announcement that he was very disappointed by this season. The loss to Houston in the first round of the playoffs proved that the division title was “fool’s gold”. The team was aging fast and the competition in their division was weak (no other team finished above .500). There was nothing to celebrate here.

Henry sat in stunned silence while Gordon proceeded to tell the hushed audience that the successful season would only serve to doom the franchise to another decade of mediocrity. The current management team would be given contract extensions, and the fluke season would fade into a memory as the team returned to its former lifeless state. A bad contract here, a poor trade there, more mediocre drafts, and a manager with a career losing record would combine to create apathy and boredom for anyone who was formerly passionate about the product on the field.

Henry Cooper, an understanding man, gave his son a puzzled look and quietly contemplated this new information. The table was silent for what seemed to be an eternity. No one dared touch a fork or glass. Finally, Henry spoke.

“Gordon, I am seventy-two years old. In 1981, I wanted to own a baseball team and I was fortunate to realize that dream. I have enjoyed this endeavor for twenty years, and I am proud to say that I did it my way. But, times change and people change. You are right. I no longer have the passion to win at all costs. I am content to enjoy my life and my family, and I don’t really want the conflict and turmoil that comes with managing a baseball team any longer.”

Henry paused to give his family some time to soak in this rare glimpse of his private thoughts. He continued with a more determined and upbeat tone.

“It is with this in mind that I have decided it is time to pass the torch. Gordon Cooper will soon be appointed as President and Chief Executive Officer of the Louisville Colonels. The announcement will be made immediately after the World Series. Gordon, you have approximately two weeks to prepare your plans to take this franchise where your heart wants it to go. You don’t need to have anything approved by me, except the budget. And, as you have pointed out before, I am a generous man. Good luck, my son.”

Dinner moved on to dessert and coffee and brandy. The conversation was happy, but Gordon didn’t remember much about it after that speech. His mind was on other things.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote