View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
KurtBevacqua
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoPeeler View Post
Something similar to that was shown in the 1992 movie "The Babe".
I wish I could remember the specific books I read it in. One I think was by Bob Feller and I remember reading a bio on the Babe that talked a lot about his disillusionment with the Dodgers for not meeting promises to him for coaching and managing that I think talked about how the Babe's legs were so bad that he never had to run the bases anymore in Boston. I also don't think he's the only player who had this sort of arrangement back then, but again I can't think of the specific reference where I read that. Perhaps the Professor or one of our more astute baseball historians can confirm or deny this.
"The type and formula of most schemes of philanthropy or humanitarianism is this: A and B put their heads together to decide what C shall be made to do for D. The radical vice of all these schemes, from a sociological point of view, is that C is not allowed a voice in the matter, and his position, character, and interests, as well as the ultimate effects on society through C's interests, are entirely overlooked. I call C the Forgotten Man"

- William Graham Sumner
KurtBevacqua is offline   Reply With Quote