View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 04:15 PM   #20
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2024 midseason

The Phillies head into the All-Star break with an incredible 62-27 record, nine games better than any other team in baseball. "Look, that's great, but we've got a lot more work to do," said Bryce Harper, one of the Phillies' nine All-Star selections. "I'm not interested in how many games we win in the regular season. I'm interested in winning in the postseason."

The Phillies certainly haven't gotten through the season unscathed. Chris Sale suffered the second major shoulder injury of his career, and it's anticipated that he won't be able to return to the mound as a professional again. Sale's career numbers are likely Hall of Fame worthy- a 170-102 record, a 2.97 ERA, two Cy Young Awards, and ten All-Star selections.

The bullpen has been as advertised, with three All-Stars, including setup men Aroldis Chapman and Seranthony Dominguez, who've combined for a 7-0 record and a 1.40 ERA. Trevor Bauer and the surprising Clarke Schmidt have been excellent at the top of the rotation. Then there's Zack Godley, the journeyman who won the NL Pitcher of the Month in May after going 5-0.

And we haven't even talked about the offense. The Phillies lead the NL in essentially ever major offensive category. It's been a dominating performance, even with leadoff hitter Reese Albert posting a sub-.300 on-base percentage. First baseman Logan Wyatt has been the breakout star, hitting .323 with 14 home runs.

Can the Phillies keep their momentum? "I certainly expect us to," said owner John Middleton. "I've put a lot of blood, sweat and cash into this team, and I expect results."
Attached Images
Image Image 
jaa36 is offline   Reply With Quote