View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 11:50 PM   #14
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2022 midseason

A slow start to the season has left the Phillies on the outside looking it at the All-Star break. The club has sputtered to a 50-43 record after spending much of the season below .500.

"I'd be lying if I didn't say I was disappointed with where we're at," said manager Gabe Kapler. "But at the same time, this is a dynamic group of players, and I think we're just now getting to full strength."

Kapler is probably onto something there. The Phillies' offense has struggled through numerous injuries in the first half of the season. Prized free agent acquisition Michiomi Nakamura took a while to recover from his broken hand and has played only 33 games. Rowdy Tellez and Adam Haseley have both spent time on the IL as well.

There have been plenty of positive developments, too. Rookie Nonie Williams won the NL Rookie of the Month in April, and he's hitting .293 with 19 home runs. And Nick Pivetta threw a no-hitter in June. "It was a real thrill for me," said Pivetta. "I didn't necessarily have my best command but I was able to get through nine with just the four walks."

Matt Klentak made yet another aggressive move just today, swapping third baseman Xander Bogaerts to the Mets for closer Edwin Diaz, who hits free agency after this season. Bogaerts had been hitting .269 with 10 home runs, and has three more years under contract. Klentak called up 23-year-old former #3 overall pick Jimmy Glowenke, who was hitting just .182 at AA Reading, and handed him the job. "I think part of Jimmy's problem, to be perfectly honest, is that he wasn't challenged enough at Reading," said Klentak. "We'll try to light a fire under him at the major league level."

Bryce Harper has tailed off a bit from his MVP numbers last season, but he and the Phillies' offense seem poised to take off in the second half. The Phils have 6 1/2 games to make up on Washington, who could be the fourth winner of the NL East in four seasons. "Not if I have anything to say about it," noted Harper.
Attached Images
jaa36 is offline   Reply With Quote