View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 10:53 PM   #8
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2020 recap

From worst to first! The Phillies have done it, going from losing 101 games to winning 97 and taking home their first World Series since 2008.

"What did I tell you guys?" said a grinning Bryce Harper, saturated in champagne. "I believe in this team, this city... I'll tell you what, this is the first of many, guys, the first of many!"

Harper himself was good enough for the Phillies, hitting .255 with 24 home runs and 82 RBI, but he wasn't even the Phillies' best outfielder. That honor belonged to Dylan Cozens, who hit .255 himself with 41 homers and 132 RBI, and took home the World Series MVP by hitting .360 with three home runs against the Indians. "I'm really proud of my guy Dylan," said Harper. "I don't care who hits the home runs as long as they've got a Phillies uniform on."

Chris Sale proved to be well worth the investment, going 16-8 with a 2.58 ERA. Sale is the heavy favorite to win his second straight Cy Young Award. He was the stopper for a durable, consistent rotation that looked night and day different from the 2019 edition, as the top five starters made all but two starts for the club. Even stronger was the bullpen, headed by Seranthony Dominguez, who saved 38 games with a 1.99 ERA.

The team had its share of struggles. Jean Segura lost his job as the starting shortstop, and it's anyone's guess what the club will do with him for the next two years of his contract. Rhys Hoskins was more productive, but he too lost playing time, in favor of promising young first baseman Rowdy Tellez. General manager Matt Klentak did a nice job shoring up the team's weak spots, acquiring shortstop Nick Ahmed from Miami and reliever Dellin Betances from Milwaukee, giving up just a few C-grade prospects in return. Both veterans played key roles down the stretch.

Much of the team will remain together next season, but productive second baseman Cesar Hernandez is likely to depart. Hernandez was outstanding at the top of the lineup, hitting .322 with a .391 on-base percentage. Jake Arrieta, who had his strongest season as a Phillie (11-5, 3.74), will also hit free agency.

Owner John Middleton saw the victory as a validation of his team's free-spending ways. "It turns out this is what stupid money gets you!" Middleton shouted as he hoisted the championship trophy. "A stupid World Series Championship!"
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by jaa36; 03-20-2019 at 07:16 PM.
jaa36 is offline   Reply With Quote