View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 11:02 PM   #3
jaa36
Hall Of Famer

2019 midseason

Do you think Bryce Harper might be rethinking the decision to call Philadelphia his home for the next 13 years?

Harper's first season in the City of Brotherly Love couldn't have started much worse. The team staggered out to an improbable 10-game losing streak to start the season, and things really haven't gotten much better since. The team won just 6 of its first 27 games, and managed to lose 21 games in June as well, with a record of 27-58 heading into the second half of the season.

"That's worse than the Marlins, man," said a disgruntled Andrew McCutchen, one of several Phillies' veterans who are rumored to have demanded a trade during the season. "The Marlins!"

While McCutchen was quick to point fingers, he was far from blameless himself in the awful start, hitting just .227. Rhys Hoskins, J.T. Realmuto, Odubel Herrera and Maikel Franco have also been disappointments for what was expected to be one of the league's top offenses.

Harper himself has been as advertised, hitting .272 with 17 home runs and 51 RBI. He's been remarkably patient with the team thus far. "I've been around the league for a little while," Harper said. "I know that sometimes things don't come together quite the way you hope. If this isn't the year, there are plenty more years ahead, and I believe in the core of the team."

To add injury to insult, just today the Phillies learned that All-Star shortstop Jean Segura will be lost for the season to a concussion. Segura was leading the team with a .313 average.

General manager Matt Klentak made only one move in the first half, trading outfielder Roman Quinn (who was out of options) to the Blue Jays for first baseman Rowdy Tellez and catcher Reese McGuire. More moves are expected as the trade deadline approaches as the team attempts to retool for 2020.
Attached Images
Image Image 
jaa36 is offline   Reply With Quote