View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
Scruff
Minors (Triple A)

Interesting khucke . . . So you treat the minor leagues as major leagues, but with a lower salary structure that is manually edited at the league/team level I assume? So you don't set them as unaffiliated AAA or AA, for example, right?

That could be a decent way to go, even if it isn't what you said.

If you use the reserve clause system with no multi-year contracts that would get past the issue of minor league teams giving multi-year deals. Although think of Lefty Grove - he couldn't get out of Baltimore for 5 years in the 20s, so that's not necessarily unrealistic.

Since I'm using the Spritze HS database, what I was thinking of doing was have all 18-year olds start in AA. If I leave the age max at 0, and set that league as a feeder to AAA, all players would be eligible to be drafted into AAA at the beginning of the next season, but I'd only set it to say 5 rounds - whoever isn't drafted gets stuck in AA for another year.

Then I'd do the same thing with AAA - that would feed into ML. Same thing, 5 rounds of draft, anyone who isn't drafted does another year in AAA. So no one would be MLB eligible until they are 20 - I'm fine with that. 18-AA, 19-AAA, 20-MLB if all goes well. Obviously some will spend extra years in the minors.

So over time you would have career AA guys, career AAA guys too which will be fun. I'm very big on independent minor leagues trying to win. I would love it if there was a way to transfer money from the team drafting players to the lower level teams - a set amount for a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, etc.

I would love to set the guys who went to college to go into a college league that feeds players into AAA. Anyone who isn't drafted for AAA becomes a AA free agent.

I think the key to getting this to work right is figuring out how many players are retiring (and/or dropping a level) and getting promoted, and having the correct number of draft rounds to replenish the leagues appropriately.

Finally, what would also be cool about this is the ability to do expansion and relegation through the minors.

When the major league expands, AAA teams are promoted - there is no expansion draft or anything. They just get increased budget, attendance, etc. AA teams are promoted to back fill AAA and then AA expands with new small market cities.

Also, through this system you could easily do non-expansion promotion and relegation each year. The demoted team would get a lower budget and be forced to drop a few players, who would become free agents. Or they could make trades. I'm not sure of how the AI would handle this though.
Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote