Thread: Historical Game
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #33
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFan View Post
I started a couple of games with the Sabres expansion franchise in 1970. So far I've only had one crash. This beta is more stable than a lot of other games post release. I see two major issues:

• The salary cap does crazy things a couple of years into the game. Gerry Meehan has one year remaining on his contract at $2,540,000 but has a cap hit of 7,620,000. It looks like the cap hit calculation is adding the total value of the duration of the contract in any given year. By 1972, I'm unable to stay under the cap.

• The draft issue was mentioned earlier with 16-year-olds being eligible. I drafted Clark Gillies in 1971, and he is still a one star player at age 18. This is probably my penalty for being a cheater. Seriously, I don't know if this is a database issue, or related to the starting age. Ironically, Guy LaFleur popped up on the Islanders roster in 1972.
All things considered, I can see that I'm going to get hours of enjoyment out of this game, and it's interesting to be part of the Beta test community.

I had the same thing happen to me cap wise. I made it through three seasons and in 1970 got slammed with two players earning just under 3.5 million in the last year of their deals who each counted as a 15M cap hit. I was OK August 1st and simmed to the start of preseason before it happened. I also lost 1/2 of my reserve players as well as a few players on my active roster.