All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamMan12 View Post
My drafts start like this:

Rd 1- a young dominant SP that can hopefully anchor my rotation for 10+ years

Rd 2- fast, high contact position player; either a leadoff or #3 hitter

Rd 3- best closer available with highest stuff

Rd 4- best power hitter available

All draftees here are always under 30. Doing this I have a top player at four key spots. I usually do okay the first year or two but then I start winning championships like crazy with this method.

The only time I differ from this is when I start a league like my current one where the start year was 1903 and power and bullpens were non-existent. In that case, I repeat rounds 1 and 2.
I'm not trying to brag or undermine you, just saying for the sake of scholarly discussion that I've found my method (listed above) to actually be quite conducive to winning in the first year, yet you can consistently build off it to have a dynasty.

My draft strategy is different than you in that I pretty much pick up a lot of players in the draft knowing that a lot of them will be traded. I especially don't try and force myself to get players for certain positions in the draft. But after the draft, I immediately look to acquire the players similar to what you have. Though I always have trading settings on hard and all that, I can always find a package of guys I'm willing to trade to get the guys I need. The advantage here is that the guys I am going for were picked before I could get them, thus they are better than the guys that I would have picked to fit their player type instead.
conception is offline   Reply With Quote