View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #15
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
That may be what it is supposed to be, but that isn't how it is carried out a good portion of the time. Many times it's a "this is an annoyance we don't want to spare energy to see it all the way through, so let's cut bait" type of thing.
Do you have any support for that claim, or is that more of an impressionistic sort of thing?

I'm the last person to defend college disciplinary procedures (well, maybe the next-to-last person), but I do think most people involved in the process are genuinely interested in seeking a fair resolution. Colleges, after all, have to cover their own butts, so they try to follow procedures that comport with a certain degree of due process. For a variety of reasons, only some of which are the colleges' fault, they often fail to measure up to that standard, but at least they make the attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Once more, 45 minutes. A year's worth of gathered evidence covered over a week during trial and they came away w/a verdict in 45 minutes of debate. I think that well speaks to either the flimsiness of the evidence or the incompetence of the prosecution.
Quite possibly, but then it might also speak to the stupidity of the jury. Without looking at the transcripts or the evidence, I wouldn't venture an opinion.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote