View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #21
The_Cobra
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Location: Carlton, Nottingham - 5 mins down the road from Frochy!
@ Bob - Cheers for that post, some good suggestions in there and it definitely provides me with some food for thought. As far as the financial angle goes, I will try to build some basic financial functions in there to begin with, but it will only be pretty standard stuff to start off with. I'm talking about stuff like paying for the venue, getting money back from the fight, etc. Just basically the most obvious stuff to start off with. Not sure if things like training costs will be in there straight away but all that type of stuff, training costs, staff costs, purse bids (and more) will eventually find its way in there. Just not in the early versions. All your suggestions are spot on though.

@ Javier - sorry bud, I meant to get at you sooner than this about testing and I clean forgot. A little birdy told me a few days ago that you have some good testing experience behind you, so it's been my intention to shoot you a message asking if you'd like to be in on the testing for this project. Should have asked you a few days back when it was on my mind but better late than never. There's a spot there for you if you want it, my friend.

@ Syd - sounds very promising mate. My only concern is that your programming level is obviously way ahead of where I'm at (took me weeks just to wrap my head around basic stuff like arrays and whatnot). Another concern for me is that I've decided to stick with VB6 for the time being. I played around with VB10 and tried to convert what I've done already but get this, you cant directly convert a vb6 app to work in vb10, you have to convert it in vb8 first and THEN you convert again in vb10. I did actually do all that (and that in itself was a pain in the rear end) but there were too many syntax problems and its a case of taking longer to convert and migrate over than it would to just carry on coding in vb6. It's my fault, I should have started this off in VB10 to begin with but its going to take too much effort and time to migrate it over and get comfortable with VB10 functions and I'd rather invest that time into finishing what I've started.

The plan at the moment is to put out a basic version of this app with vb6 first, and then once I've got something done for people, THEN switch over when there's less pressure on to crank something out.

If there's a way to bolt your work onto mine in this first vb6 stage then I welcome your work with open arms, but if not, we probably wont be at that promontary point until I migrate to vb10, which like I say, wont be until after I've put at least some basic version down on here.

I'd be really happy to see what you've done so far though....if your at the point where your ready to let someone else have a dekko at it, I'm here with a catchers mitt on!
The_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote