Thread: NFL 2019 Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 04:21 PM   #595
slic1149
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I'd have to disagree somewhat. You're giving Garrett an excuse he doesn't deserve. As I said earlier, Pouncey deserved punishment because you see his teammates didn't take it as far as he did. They were able to keep their composure and didn't "blackout" as Pouncey described it. It is striking that w/all the experts, press vets & former players interviewed, no one could come up a similar incident. They all agreed this was unprecedented. Contemplate that since facemasks entered the NFL in the 50's there is no recollection of anyone doing what Garrett did. You have to be doing something truly unique to be the first in the 100 year history of pro football. None of the tens of 1000's of former pro football players felt compelled to do this.

So I don't blame his "upbringing" if you will. This is Myles problem. Not a football problem.
The biggest difference between Myles Garrett and Jack Tatum was when Tatum hit Stingley his head was still inside the helmet and the fact he paralyzed him. Another item that should be mentioned is the dozen or so players who have beat the crap out of their wives, girl friends, and even children. While we are at lets talk about concussions, early onset Alzheimer's, and bodies that have been beaten to the point that some retired players are close to immobile. I am not trying to exonerate or excuse Garrett, I am simply saying that athletes are so strong and fast that playing football has become a dangerous, if well paid, career path.