View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 09:56 PM   #1
Kristy95
Bat Boy

A re-writing of history with a twist?

Hello guys

I am not sure if this fits here or in the dynasty report, but seeing as I am only simming this and not playing myself, I figured it would fit here.

I decided to start the league with an inaugural draft and random rookies from all eras. Basically, the entire league history will be rewritten but players will appear completely randomly. I decided to do this a little differently. I will start the league in the year 2014 with random rookies and random players, just so I get the strategies and financial stuff for the year 2014. That means the 30 teams will already be there and that will be interesting too. I will simulate and just see where it goes. Obviously I deleted the entire history up until this point to create a completely new history from this point on.
I also plan on doing this differently by simulating year by year, to really appreciate the different history. Every draft will be spectacular because it will include new random players. The inaugural draft itself is already very fascinating.

Let's start this off either way and I will see what the response here is!

In the inaugural draft we have 30 teams. The draft order is:

The draft pool has some very very interesting talent in there. In terms of starting pitching, you have guys like Noodles Hahn, Orel Hershiser, Randy Johnson (40 years though), Pedro Martinez, Madison Bumgarner, Chris Carpenter, Nolan Ryan, etc. In terms of hitters you have guys like Roberto Alomar, Johnny Bench, Ed Delahanty, Lou Gehrig, Matt Holliday, David Justice, Stan Musial, Yasiel Puig, Pee Wee Reese, Jayson Werth, Miguel Cabrera, Edwin Encarnacion, etc.

First round:

Here is the image of the first round:

Basically, Sammy Strang went first overall to Toronto. I did not have him on my list of famous players since I wasn't really aware of him personally, but he is really strong here in this game. Here is a view of his ratings:

At the end of the draft - we are taking a look at the preseason predictions! The divisional winners in the predictions are Baltimore, Cleveland, Seattle, Mets, Milwaukee and San Francisco with Baltimore and Milwaukee being the best teams (92 predicted wins).

The financial page is very interesting too, with the Angels having the biggest budget and the Dodgers having the lowest budget. Yankees are also far down, only at 23rd in budget. The most expensive contract goes to Craig Biggio, who plays for Detroit and was picked in the 15th round due to costing 24 million, being 38 years old and not being that great anymore.

The best minor league system belongs to the Astros (how funny), 2nd the Yankees and 3rd the Mariners. The best players according to OSA are the following: and

After a month, we see an interesting picture already. The Orioles who looked like a favorite are only 11-16. The Rays are 19-10 and the best team so far. Here the complete standings:

At the all star break, we still see a very close race in pretty much every division. The biggest lead at this point is 5 games. Baltimore has come around a little, now over .500 - but still only 2nd in their division. Here are the standings at the all-star break:

Something I will definitely keep a close eye on in this whole simulation is the all-stars and the awards. I will write them down to track how well people do every year, track potential hall of famers. You will basically get the entire history as it goes instead of everything at once.

I won't go too in depth yet in this first season, since everyone is a first-time all star, but needless to say, I will bring this up more in the following years. I will however, highlight a couple of guys here at the all star break.

Bob Horner already has 33 home-runs at the all-star break. Lou Gehrig has the best OPS. Pee Wee Reese has the biggest WAR for hitters, aided by his good defense at shortstop. Pitching-wise Noodles Hahn stands out with by far the highest WAR and an insane first half. More details at the end of the year, but you can already say he is a big candidate for Cy Young and he is only 21 in this game so he will be a big contender for the hall of fame if he continues. Randy Johnson also did very well, but he is already 40 years old, as aforementioned.

As the season concludes, we see some interesting things happen. Baltimore makes it into the playoffs as a wild-card while the other top team Milwaukee implodes and misses the playoffs on day 162. Colorado beats Arizona in game 163 to advance to the playoffs. Seattle is the best team with 98 wins. Toronto who had the first overall pick in the draft ends up with the least amount of wins at 69 and will once again pick first overall at the draft which happens in November. Here the final standings:

Bob Horner crushes the rest of the league in home-runs ending up with 58, fifteen more than the next best in Stan Musial. Ed Delahanty leads the batters in WAR at 9.2 - ahead of Fairly and Musial. Four people crack 200 hits, among them Delahanty and Musial. Overview of the batter leaderboards:

Pitching wise, Noodles Hahn ends up as the king by far. He ends with the most wins (24), best ERA (1.37), best WHIP (0.79) and highest WAR (11.8). Pedro Martinez got the most strikeouts and ruined a potential triple crown (340 to 327). Complete pitching leaderboards:

Delahanty had the longest hit streak at 29 games, Lloyd Brown had 38 saves and no blown saves, and Hyun-Jin Ryu won 14 games in a row.

In the playoffs, we have the wildcard games first. Oakland is facing Baltimore and Colorado is facing Atlanta. The first game is the Colorado - Atlanta one. Looking at the match-up, Colorado sends the better pitcher in Stan Yerkes who had a 3.18 ERA, but Atlanta has the better offense, headed by home-run king Bob Horner, as well as Juan Gonzalez and Ron Fairly who both had over 30 home-runs as well and Fairly was one of the best players in the entire league. Their starter, Ray Crone only had a 4.41 ERA though. The game was 0-0 for a long time, before Horner did what he does and put Atlanta up 3-0 with a 3 run homer. Atlanta ended up winning 5-2.

In the other wild-card game we see Yasiel Puig on one side for Oakland and Stan Musial and Adonis Terry for Baltimore. This game ended up a complete shocker and a complete blow-out, as Oakland wins 10-0 with twenty hits. Terry was great all season but lost them this game very early.

The next round sees some interesting match-ups. In the first one, Oakland is facing Seattle, the best team in the league in terms of wins. We already discussed Oakland a little. Seattle has Noodles Hahn, the best pitcher in the league. They also have a solid, but not spectacular offense, headed by Nolan Arenado and Wayne Garrett. However, Oakland continues the hot streak and only allows Noodles Hahn one start (in which Oakland wins 2-0) and Oakland sweeps the best team in the league 3-0 in this series.

In the other AL series, Kansas City faces off against the Rays. Kansas City is headlined by Johnny Bench and Edwin Encarnacion, while their pitching is solid but not spectacular. Rays have Addie Joss and Mark Mulder, both all-star pitchers and both an ERA under 3.00, while their offense is less impressive, but still includes guys like Matt Adams who had 30 home-runs. In the end, the pitching helped the Rays as they manage to win all their games with Joss and Mulder and win the series 3-1.

In the NL the wildcard winning Braves face off against the Mets. Mets have Pedro Martinez and Vernon Wells on their team. Horner had three more home-runs for the Braves in this series, propelling his team to the next round as the Braves win 3-1.

The last series had the Cardinals and the Dodgers face off. Cardinals have guys like Pete Rose (who actually had negative WAR), Jayson Werth, etc. Their statistics look weakest of any playoff team, oddly enough. Their bullpen is the only real strength. They somehow scored the 3rd most runs despite having the 7th best average, 7th best OPS and 9th most home-runs. Dodgers on the other hand have guys like Beals Becker, Willie McGill and others and are mostly driven by their pitching. Hitting was not their strength but similar to the Cardinals they scored much more runs than their rankings would suggest. In the end the Dodgers team is too strong and wins the series 3-1.

In the NL, Atlanta took game one 3-0 with another Horner home-run. Game two was a crazy game which Atlanta ended up winning 16-14 with ANOTHER Horner home-run (the 6th of the playoffs). Los Angeles wins game three to make the series 1-2 in a close game. Game four has another Atlanta home-run with the 7th home-run for Horner, who is blatantly carrying this team through these playoffs. Atlanta wins the series 4-1 and advances to the World Series.

In the AL, Tampa found a way to stop the Oakland undefeated run through the playoffs so far and win game one 4-2 on the heels of a great Mark Mulder pitching performance. Oakland gets game two with a Yasiel Puig home-run. Tampa Bay wins game three with a great performance by Addie Joss who pitched a shutout. Game four was the crucial game of the series. Oakland needed a win but in the end lost that game 11-10 in the 9th inning, despite being up 9-1 in the 2nd inning. Oakland fought back in game five to keep the series going, but Addie Joss pitched another beauty (a one run, two hitter) to close out the series and put Tampa in the World Series.
The World series therefore is Atlanta versus Tampa Bay. Gerrit Cole wins game one for Atlanta, while Mark Mulder lost his first game of the postseason. Tampa Bay ties the series up 1-1 in game two. In game three, Horner hits his 8th home-run of the postseason and the first of the World Series, but Atlanta still loses and Addie Joss gets his 4th win of the postseason for Tampa (zero losses so far).

Atlanta ties it up again in game four, with Gerrit Cole winning again and Mark Mulder losing again. Bob Horner hits TWO home-runs and now has three in the World Series and ten in the postseason. Game five is always crucial, especially when it is 2-2 in the series. Horner hits another home-run early in the game and Atlanta cruises to an 8-1 win to take a 3-2 lead in the series.

The only guy who is as hot as Horner is Addie Joss who gets his 5th win of the postseason and ties the series up 3-3 setting up a game 7 in the first year of the league!

Game 7 is a tight game, with Tampa taking the lead first, but then Atlanta leading the game 2-1 after six innings. The lead changes again with a Fullmer home-run and Tampa takes a 3-2 lead after the 7th inning. Top of the 9th inning, Atlanta ties the game up, in a dramatic manner, setting up the most exciting ending possible! Nothing happens in the bottom of the 9th inning, nor the 10th, nor the 11th inning and the excitement is now palpable. What a game, what a season!

So finally...in the top of the 12th inning, Horner is up again for Atlanta and HE DOES IT AGAIN! Horner puts up Atlanta 4-3 in the 12th inning with his 12th home-run of the post-season. Atlanta manages to keep the lead and WINS THE TITLE! Bob Horner with an insane performance this postseason, completely carrying this team with an insane run of home-runs and eventually concluding this first season.

But the season is still not over, since we still have the draft and the awards!
First the draft. Toronto has the first pick, as we said, so let's look at the draft pool!

The top starting pitchers in the draft are Greg Swindell, Dontrelle Willis and Rube Kisinger. The top hitters are Carl Taylor, Sean Berry, Ron Grant, Charlie Gehringer and Anthony Rizzo.

The Toronto Blue Jays pick Greg Swindell, fantastic starting pitcher. Philadelphia picks Dontrelle Willis 2nd overall. Carl Taylor goes to Detroit 3rd overall as the first hitter. Longer look at the first round:

Gold Gloves I will go into more in the next few seasons once someone wins a 2nd title. Ryne Duren won the reliever of the year award for the AL with an incredible season. He played for the worst team in the league, Toronto, but he had a 11-2 record with a 1.07 ERA and 28 saves. He also had 14.2 K/9 which is insane! David Carpenter won the award for the NL with 42 saves and a 1.88 ERA for the Dodgers. Silver Slugger will be discussed more in the future seasons as well!

Cy Young in the AL goes not surprisingly to Noodles Hahn, whose stats I already mentioned above. Addie Joss ends up 2nd, perhaps aided by his great post-season, though he also had a fantastic season otherwise. Adonis Terry finishes third. In the NL the award goes to Pedro Martinez with a 20-8 record with a 2.17 ERA and 340 strikeouts. Walter Johnson and Randy D Johnson are 2nd and 3rd in voting.

AL MVP ALSO goes to Noodles Hahn who genuinely deserved the award, what an amazing year. He is only 21 years old, so be ready for great seasons ahead! Stan Musial was 2nd in voting, Yasiel Puig third. Home-run king and postseason champion Bob Horner is NL MVP, also only 21 years old. Horner only had 213 home-runs in his real-life career, so this will be interesting to keep an eye on. Ron Fairly, also from Atlanta ends up 2nd in voting, Ed Delahanty from the horrible Phillies ends up third.

Free agency and such will be discussed in my next post. In general, Id love to hear some thoughts and comments, any kind of help would be appreciated, comments or questions will be answered. I would love some criticism and if people don't care to read this, that's fine too!
Kristy95 is offline   Reply With Quote