View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 07:38 PM   #52
fuzzy_patters
All Star Starter

7/10-7/12/70 (DH on 7/10)

Having the double header on Friday this week instead of on Sunday will be weird.

Billy Wynne cleared waivers, so I sent him back to AAA. He's angry with me. I'm hoping that he takes it out on the Pacific Coast League.

The Angels and the Royals made a pretty big trade. The Royals sent Bob Locker to the Angels. Locker is 31 and makes $31,000 a year. His won-loss record of 2-7 is pretty bad, but he also has 9 save and a 2.70 ERA. He is just a two-pitch pitcher with a fastball and slider, but he is a very good reliever. In return the Angels sent 24-year old LF Tom Silverio (.323/.411/.562 at AAA) and 19-year old SP Sid Monge (8-7 4.12 at A). Monge isn't considered to be a great prospect, but he does have an interesting assortment of pitches with a fastball, curveball, slider, and screwball. Both teams are going in opposite directions, and a trade of a veteran for two prospects makes a lot of sense for both teams.

The A's and the Phillies made a less exciting trade today. Four players changed hands, but only one is a major leaguer. The Phillies will be getting right-hander Fred Talbot, who is 2-1 with a 5.67, and AAA CF Jim Clarke, who was hitless in two starts for Oakland early this year. The Phillies will get minor leaguers RHP Ben Proulx and 3B David Rusco. This signals to me that the A's are giving up. They are 14-games left, and they are giving up the only big leaguer in the deal.

Similarly, Oakland has also offered me a trade. They want to give me reliever Paul Lindblad in exchange for two minor leaguers, including Lamar Johnson. We are 19 games back. There is no way that I am giving up two minor leaguers for a reliever.

7/10 Game 1- Royals 5 White Sox 3
Bob Spence hit a 3-run homer as a pinch-hitter for us. Unfortunately, Lou Piniella homered twice for the Royals. Joe Horlen took the loss.

7/10 Game 2 Royals 8 White Sox 4
Gerry Janeski wasn't great, and we were already behind 4-2 when I took him out in the fifth to bring in Jack Hamilton. Jack proceeded to load the bases and give up a grand slam to Bob Oliver. Ouch.

Ron Lolich is eligible to come off of the disabled list, so I made some calls around the league to see if anyone wanted Bobby Knoop. The best players that I could get for him would be salary dumps from other teams. I decided to just send Lolich on a rehab assignment to Tuscon since I can't move Knoop. Maybe someone will get hurt and create a spot for Lolich while he's down there.

Washington has offered me LF Lee Maye for two prospects. Once again, that's going the wrong way. We don't need veterans when we are so far back.

The Phillies and the A's made yet another trade. The Phillies are getting the A's stopper, Mudcat Grant, who has 12 SV and a 3.38 ERA. The A's are getting three minor leaguers.

Oakland also made a trade with the Royals. The Royals get 1B Don Mincher, who has only hit .191 but has 11 HR this year. The A's get a couple more minor leaguers.

Lastly, the Padres have acquired SP Ray Washburn (1-7 4.52) from Cincinnati for two minor leaguers.

7/11 White Sox 5 Royals 1
Tommy John gave us a strong 8.1 IP, and Luis Aparicio hit a big home run to break a 1-1 tie in the 7th.

Stephen Houck is not recovering as fast as expected. I'm actually fine with that because it gives me more time to see what Talley can do.

Washington has offered me Lee Maye again. I still don't want a 35-year old in exchange for prospects.

The All-Star teams have been announced. Melton made it, but Herrmann didn't. He was robbed.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 7.26.14 PM.png
Views: 649
Size:  477.0 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 7.27.08 PM.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  96.4 KB

There were a couple of more small trades. There have been a lot of trades lately. I'm going to start only reporting on the major ones.

7/12 White Sox 7 Royals 6 (11)
Tommy McCraw has 1 hit in 13 at bats off the bench, but that didn't stop him from a game winning RBI groundout. Ossie Blanco had a pair of hits, including his 14th homer. Danny Murphy earned the win in relief with Jack Hamilton bouncing back with a save.

Record: 37-51
fuzzy_patters is offline   Reply With Quote