View Single Post
Old 03-02-2020, 09:46 PM   #45
fuzzy_patters
All Star Starter

6/16-6/17/70 vs New York

Before we get to the series with the Yankees, let's check out this week's players of the week.

AL Player of the Week- 1B Boog Powell, Baltimore- .458, 3 HR, 8 RBI
NL Player of the Week- C Joe Torre, St Louis- .458, 2 HR, 10 RBI

Here are the current top 5 teams according to the power rankings.
1. Baltimore Orioles
2. Minnesota Twins
3. California Angels
4. Houston Astros
5. Los Angeles Dodgers

We have slid back to 22nd.

6/16 Yankees 6 White Sox 0
Steve Kline shut us out. Tommy John allowed 4 ER to score in 8 IP. Floyd Weaver allowed the other two in the ninth. Roy White was 3-for-5 for the Yankees.

Between games I learned of another trade involving Washington. This time they traded with Montreal.

To Montreal
SS Ed Brinkman- age 28- $55,000 salary- Plus-plus at avoiding K's and elite defensive shortstop hitting .206 with 1 HR and 1 SB in 64 starts for Washington

SS Rick Guarnera- age 23- minor league contract- .277 hitter at A-ball who has very little offensive ability but is a plus defender at both middle infield positions

To Washington
C Barry Foote- age 18- minor league contract- Has the potential for above average power and is a plus-defender behind the plate- Hitting .309 at A-ball with 4 HR

C Stephen Chilcott- age 21- Above average potential for power and discipline at the plate but very little contact potential- Plus defensive catcher but also an average defensive CF- Hitting .256 with 11 HR at AA

Overall, I think this is a trade where one team, Montreal, is trying to win their division. They are 5 GB. The other team, Washington, is in last place, and they are getting two decent prospects that may help them later.

6/17 Yankees 10 White Sox 2
Gerry Janeski continued his struggles. He gave up 8 R, 6 ER, in 4.1 IP. It took me 5 pitchers to get through the game. Mel Stottlemyre went the distance for the Yankees.

Record: 24-40
fuzzy_patters is offline   Reply With Quote