View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #18
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I agree there is not a "bad day" flag in the game but I do think there is a "snowball" effect. Note what the visit mound option in the manual says about calming the pitcher.

Quote:
Visit Mound The manager visits the pitcher on the mound. This option is usually used to try to calm down the pitcher if he has gotten in trouble. This option also helps use up some time if you are warming up a relief pitcher, and gives the manager a better idea of how tired his pitcher is
One can argue everything is random and ratings prevail. Those games where the opponent is scoring in each of the first three innings, they're hitting everything, and you just know it's going to be bad and ends up being a 17-2 drubbing. That 8 run inning you allow when you went into the inning up 5-3 and go out down 11-5. It's all random, leave the guy in his ratings will prevail...

But the mound visit option says it can be used to calm down a P in trouble. If that is true then being in trouble must have some influence on outcome. Maybe the P gets a "normal" K and gets his mind right without a visit, maybe after a visit he still gets shelled, maybe after a visit he gets a GB DP and gets out of the inning etc. etc. etc. I've had all of these outcomes and more and if, after a visit, the guy continues to get shelled he is coming out, I don't care what his ratings are ( this too can be dependent on context).

To the OP question, if it is the first inning then I'm doing everything in my power to try to get him through (of course context dependent as others have mentioned). A first inning change can destroy a bullpen for the next few days and I will try to avoid this if I can.

Last edited by Sweed; 02-20-2020 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote