View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #20
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

2033 Season Completed, Selection Process Underway

Gosh, this is fun.

My Rockies missed the play-offs with Chuck Klein making a return visit to the DL during the stretch run.

When draft time came around, my owner only noted a slight weakness in LF. The draft pool was deep. Picking based on potential and need, I took Michael D Young with the 22nd pick. My scout gave him 5 star potential while OSA gave him 1 star. The current ratings for OSA and my guy are comparable, but my guy says the ceiling is high while OSA says he is and will forever be 1 star. We'll see who turns out to be right.

I lost Curt Simmons to FA and with the supplemental 1st rd compensation pick (35th) Dickie Thon was available. No LF or SP had 4 1/2 stars, so I took Thon's 5 star potential, even though middle IF was not an issue. OSA had him 1/2.5 and my guy had him 4.5/5. In the January scout OSA upgraded it's assessment of Thon to 2/3.5...they are coming around!

Anyhow, this has nothing to do with the HOF, but scouting in V14 has been a hot topic of discussion, elsewhere. I wanted to make note of these ratings here for future reference.

------------------------------------

Goroyals inquired about my "magic number" which solves the HOF induction rate problem for all leagues of any size and any amount of history.

Well, there is no specific number that is magic, but rather a ratio. Ratios themselves are quite magical. Marcus has used this tool brilliantly to give his game universal applicability and us users unlimited customization. This solution is so obvious, once it is found. Life is like that, often times.

The magic number for the Inaugural Class is 1323.8.

From 1871 through the 1935 season, 6618 men had played Major League baseball. After the 1935 season, 5 of those men were inducted as the Inaugural Class of the RL HOF. 6618 / 5 = 1323.8.

In my league, which began with the 2003 season, I have had 5523 players see game action. Using the same proportion of players entered vs having played the game, I would get 4 inductees for my first class.

I take it one further step by saying : OK, instead of simply doing the ratio that is generated by the RL data and applying it to my player population to determine the number of entrants, let's make things a bit less predictable while maintaining a basis of historical integrity.

So, instead of simply saying my player population number should generate 4 Inaugural HOFers because that is the ratio, I will roll the 1323.8 sided die for each of the 5523 players and every time I get a "1" that will be a spot in the HOF that will get a plaque.

Of course, everyone knows there is no such thing as a 1323.8 sided die (how do you get .8 of a side?), so I rolled a 13238 sided die 5523 times and said that each time I rolled a 1-10, that would count as a spot for a plaque in the class of 2034.

So I did that.

The number of rolls that were from 1-10?

Four.

to be continued....
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote