View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #18
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Started 2032

My top pick in 2030, Troy Percival, chose not to sign with me...and my BP totally blew in 2031...go figure.

With the Percival compensation pick, I was able to grab a 5 star scouted Pete Ward to fill a need in LF. He has been playing OF and 3B and after a very slow start, is now a monster (reference his actual rookie season and previous comments on how ratings interact with recalc when season/career data is exhausted).

My actual first rd pick in 2031, Johnny Logan, chose not to sign with me, either. The AI went and signed a 28 year-old John Valentin to a long term deal to fill that gaping hole in my SS slot. Valentin is carrying a career npa OPS+ of 130 and a DefEff of 1.039 at SS. I'll take that every day of the week.

So, just a season and a half to go before the inaugural class...woo hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goroyals View Post
I have catching up on all your HOF threads today, and I'm really intrigued by all the work you've done, and this algorithm in particular. Would you care to shed a little more little on this "magic number" when you've gotten it fine tuned?

Again fantastic work. You really ought to post it in the dynasty forums, because you are clearly as passionate about this as some are about playing the game in more "conventional" ways.
Thank you for the kind words.

When the players enter using the algorithm, I will describe it more. I continue to fine tune it as the 2034 season approaches, so once it gets put in play, I will keep it as implemented throughout the run. Not trying to play Secret Squirrel, but it is a time saver if I only post what I am actually doing as opposed to posting and then retracting and revising.

The Dynasties are great. The Dynasty folks do things with a different purpose (aside from the underlying fun that is OOTP). I throw in historical nuggets about simmed careers and how I generally suck as a manager, but the purpose of the leagues is to have a superior HOF induction process. By using real players in a recalc environment we can get a sense of how the historical modifiers work in OOTP when we can easily compare the RL stats of the players.

The Historical thread was dormant when I began posting two leagues ago. I think it is good to have some passion here, also.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote