Thread: Hobbies
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 02:30 PM   #35
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

check out carl hiasson, you will bust out laughing and have to stop reading and hold your place at certain points. his characters are great.

always some mystery / PI type character at center... some recurring characters like "Skink" are great.

at least one was made into a movie, but it bombed horribly with demi moore. 'skin tight', never watched it -- was about some quack plastic surgeon in forida -- always florida... about 'a florida man' bad guy long before that was coined, i think.

Skink is a former florida governor that disappeared and now lives off the grid. he's the main character in a few of the books.

as long as it is well written i can get into books. i'm not a fan of the new manufactured process that goes on with some big names. some author with a name makes an outline and pays peanuts to some 'co-authors' who actualyl write the book. if any author you read has done this, i bet you noticed when it started to happen. i don't want mass-produced outlines filled in by people i am not familiar with under the guise of a name i am familiar with, lol. seems quite manipulative and a total lack of integrity.

--------------

as far as hobbies, i don't read a whole lot of book anymore. i do keep up on current events. i probably spend 10-60mins everyday reading any article i can find that's interesting. watch the same mistakes repeated, then go smoke some p&t. So, i do still read quite a bit, just not novels. just kidding about smoking p%t afterward... it's more like before and after.. then later too.

heh, horticulture is a new interest of mine, now that MI has changed some laws. hate it. so much bad information and a lack of good research. so much 'magic' being sold by shady companies. here's a hint, if it has a cartoon on the lable, it's probably trash, lol. you should recognize when the marketing is targeted at the sophistication of a 4-year-old as a bad sign.

outside of a couple games i refuse to quit playing, and because a ps3 was barely used, i don't buy many games anymore. i more often have aninterest in som long-ago game i played and for nostalgia purposes want to play it again. often this wears out within a day or two of playing such an archaic relic.

it's never as great as you remember! LoL.

right now at this moment as the neighbor's dog barks nonstop every waking moment it is outside, my evil side concocts new and interesting ways to of preventing it in the future... muahahaha. i have a dog whistle on recording i blast though my speakers until it stops and gets the point. they don't like that, do they? no they dont! who's a good dog... you aren't... no, you are not. untrained dogs are almost as annoying as feral children.

is that shadenfruede if you are the hypothetical antagonist? or does it have to be removed from teh situation and merely enjoying another's plight? ... so, maybe shadenfruede is a hobby of mine too.. but only in a theatrically funny way.

Last edited by NoOne; 01-17-2020 at 02:36 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote