Thread: Hobbies
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 11:47 AM   #24
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Was a DJ for 32 years... but didn't collect freebies from record companies... should have, but didn't... I didn't really have time to sit back, relax and listen to music except at work... the rest of my time was spent playing softball and basketball in church leagues... also coaching teenage church teams in softball and basketball... had to stop playing sports at age 55 because of bulging discs in my neck... docs said if I fell the wrong way, I could be in a wheelchair... 'nuff said for EC.

My greatest hobby is playing music at nursing homes... I go to two nursing homes a week - 8 each month - and play music for the residents for an hour and a half.. I take them on a musical journey of their lives... play nothing but the greatest hits of all-time... the songs they grew up with... it is the greatest joy of my life to see these folks in wheelchairs singing along with the songs and clapping their hands... I also go jitterbug and boogie woogie with them... I take their hands and dance with them... they really get a kick out of it...and it keeps yours truly EC in the best of health and condition.

If any of you want to be blessed by our Creator... go and minister in some way to nursing homes... those lovely folks are starved for entertainment and companionship... if you play a guitar, fiddle, piano -- you don't even have to play it well - - if you can sing just a little bit, they will love you dearly... or be like me, just get a PA sound system like me and play songs by streaming them or playing them on CDs.

Since I retired 18 years ago, I also bought every song I ever wanted... took me 18 years... now have over 7000 songs in pristine condition and enhanced sound... yes, it is possible to make songs better with the use of certain software... when you hear a song processed by me, it will jump out at you... it brings out all the soft, subtle sounds that most people don't pay any attention to.
I have a friend, who knows nothing about sound, but he had me rework his entire Jimmy Buffett library for him because his original commercial copies were lackluster compared to my enhanced versions... he said my versions made the music come alive.

I make my own CDs... program each one with only songs I know and love... I program each CD like I would program a radio station playlist, blending all kinds of music and artists together... Big Band, Pop, Rock, Rhythm and Blues, Country, Folk, Southern Gospel, Country Gospel and a little bit of Jazz... I have created over 300 80-minute CDs... and listen to them on a wonderful sound system with Klipsch Heresy speakers, Klipsch subwoofer and 250-watt per channel Anthem two-channel amplifier.

Most days 10 to 11 am I go to my music room... I sit in the musical "sweet spot" - halfway between the two speakers - close my eyes, sitting in my La-Z-Boy, and take a musical journey of my life... it takes me back to my teen years, my college years and I can remember my friends and girl friends from those days... most songs make me happy, some make me sad, but like Jimmy Buffett, who is a great songwriter, not just a Parrothead, said in a song "He Came To Paris":.. "Some of it's tragic, some of it's magic, but I have had a good life all the way."

That's the story of my life... and probably yours, too.

My other hobbies and interests now are, of course, OOTPB... I love my dynasty leagues... My Islandian Pro Alliance (still running after 10-15 years)… and my new ones, the North Island and South Island Leagues.
I love my leagues because the OOTP Graphics Community have made me beautiful logos, jerseys and caps that greatly, greatly enhance my enjoyment and immersion in the game.

My wife and I -- she loves baseball, too -- have seen all the MLB ballparks... it took us about 15 years... will probably go to Arlington this summer to stay up-to-date... we also go to as many minor league parks as we can in our travels... we keep a detailed scorebook, that my wife designed, so we have plenty of room to write a detailed account of the game... she keeps the book the first four and a half innings and I do it the last half of the game.

Yes, my life is good... thanks to many of you in our wonderful OOTP Community.
I appreciate all the help you have given me over the years... all you talented and technological geeks have helped an old technologically illiterate for over 15 years now... I started bothering you all back for much much help in OOTP3.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 01-17-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Eugene Church is online now   Reply With Quote