View Single Post
Old 08-01-2019, 12:18 AM   #9
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley575 View Post
FWIW, I'm currently playing a fictional MLB universe with 32 teams. I've eliminated the separate AL and NL and have it all under one league. 4 divisions of 8 teams, because with 8 of 4 you always have that one or two divisions that are just terrible, and I HATE the idea of an 80 win team making the postseason in any capacity. So it's 4 of 8 with 2 wildcards. Sort of an NFL format for postseason where the top 2 teams get a first round bye. Wildcard round is best of 3 (I also hate the idea that anything other than tie-breakers should be decided by a single game in baseball).Final 2 rounds are best of seven.
Just finished my first season. Division champions had 109,95,94, and 90 wins. Wildcards 96 wins each, so good results there.

Other details:
Due to the consolidation under a single league, I moved duplicate teams. The Angels moved to Vegas, the Mets to Montreal, and the White Sox to Indianapolis.
The two expansion teams are in Charlotte and Nashville.
The DH has been eliminated because this ain't softball. Baseball is 9 players.
Using 1987 stats. I'm pretty happy with that, too.

I'm having a lot of fun with this so far.
That is interesting Charley. Appreciate the read and I hear you about the 80 win team.

For me, I am trying to keep my MLB Standard game as close to MLB as I can.

And as a follow-up, my restore point was the first day of the off-season....where the expansion was announced! So, it looks like I am going to live with it: let me introduce the Columbus Swallows and the Indianapolis Lions.

As a result, I went back and took a look at the league expansions and structure from the past. The newest divisions are the "Central". And in the past, prior to 1993, MLB had 2 divisions, with 7 teams each. And prior to expansion, there were 8 teams per league all in "one division".

So, I thought, ok..., there is precedent for 8 teams and there is precedent for two large divisions (East and West). Therefore, I did what I have never done in the past, and altered the league structure based on that historical "precedent"; I moved roughly according to proximity all of the current Central Division Teams to the East and West divisions, and eliminated the Central Divisions. Kind of, Back-to-the-future. I also was sure to regenerate the schedule (thanks for that advice guys).

I now have the AL East, AL West and the NL East and NL West.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote