View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 10:15 PM   #7
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazin69 View Post
It's not as though the merger wasn't already on the schedule, though. The leagues might still have been technically separate, but the merger had already been agreed and SB I-IV were for the championship of professional football; I've got to call the Vikings bridesmaids, rather than brides.
My point is that the Vikings are listed as NFL champions that year, not the Chiefs. The Chiefs won an AFL championship. You gave the Lions credit for the exact same thing you did not give the Vikings credit for. They both won the exact same game. Besides that, the first two Super Bowls were called AFL VS NFL games. Because that's what they were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazin69 View Post
Hey, I'd love to toot the Raiders' horn about that 1967 AFL Championship, but they knew they were going to play Green Bay, and they got beat by Green Bay. Hard to call that a true "championship", IMO.
The Raiders are no different than any other team winning an AFL championship. It counts the same as the Jets AFL championship. Same with the NFL championship games. They were not conference championship games. They were league championship games.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote