Thread: Bullpen Idiots
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 05:12 PM   #15
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargone View Post
Going to have to agree with the OP too. It's silly for a reliever to warmup so much that he's tired. This would never happen in real life. Bullpen usage is a BIG part of managing a baseball club, so turning it off detracts a lot from realism.

I'm actually reading LaRussa's book "The Last Strike" (fantastic read) at the moment and he talks a lot about bullpen usage throughout the book. Getting them up, when to bring them in, lefty/righty matchups, setup roles, closer roles, etc. He never once talks about relievers warming up so much that they tire themselves out. Why? Because it doesn't happen!
To say it doesn't happen is just silly, I believe no reliever admits he's tired when warming up, but I don't believe for one second that they all sit down before they get tired. Just because people can't remember to stop warming a guy up, and eventually he gets tired is not grounds for the system being broken, what is broken is the memory of the person playing the game. If you are so into playing games out that you want to use the Bullpen warm up feature, don't complain when it fails you because of your own inability to use it properly or efficiently. Your goal should be to figure out how to not let relievers get tired, not to have OOTP make a new setting for everything you have a problem remembering to do!
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote