View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfalesi View Post
I think you're right, Questdog.

Related question:

Can I assume that if I change the potential ratings of a random "created" player to match those of a player from real life that I'd like to emulate (say, by importing Troy Tulowitzki's best season), that the created player will then develop naturally according to the game's player development algorithms (and talent change randomness settings)? That is, will drastically changing a player's potential ratings for eye, power, etc. cause the development process to do weird things?

I guess what I'm asking is, if I take two created players - say, one with all-star potential and one with scrub potential - and make them both average across the board, will they develop appreciably differently? Do the initially created potential values impact the player's development even AFTER I've modified them according to my whims?

A more direct way to ask the question, for which the answer is probably proprietary, is how does the player development engine work?

-Jamie
If you take two very different players and set their potentials to be the same while leaving the actual ratings as they are, the players will not develop the same (nor could they). But they will both tend to head to the same place. Although the development engine insures that in all probability they both won't end up at the same place.

Make sense?.....hope not.....

In other words, if you take Ray Oyler and give him Ernie Banks' potential ratings, good ol' Ray will try to turn himself into Ernie Banks, but he may or may not make it. He'll for sure (most probably) get better than he was though.....and he may even get better than Ernie. A lot depends on the age of the player when you change the potentials too.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote