View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #87
SteveP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambo View Post
The only thing coded into the database is statistics. In fact for Eddie Fisher in 1960 it will be his actual 1960 stats. Not even my estimates for minor league seasons. There is no "hard coding" for ratings in any database as that is not what the databases are. Simply, they are an accumulation of seasonal statistics.

And if there was some kind of "hard coding" why would I dedicate it to a mediocre pitcher who retired 3 years before I was born.

It is a well known fact that OOTP has much more difficulty rating pitchers than batters. As to why he is rated so high? It is more so that the game doesn't see a run of the mill career but rather the 3.55 ERA, the 7:2 K to BB ratio and less than 1 hit per inning numbers he posted in 1960. Of course the fact that he accomplished all that in 12.7 innings is lost on OOTP.
Sorry, no offense intended. Just trying to figure out a puzzle with OOTP and how these different DBs (yours, the one with the game, the Spritze DB, etc.) produce such radically different ratings when the underlying statistics are the same. Real vs neutralized would explain some, but not all. What you say confirms that it must have something to do with how the game interacts with these different DBs, but I've a clue beyond that.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote