Thread: Exit Velocity?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #23
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Ball Dave View Post
It depends I can look at video of the players' home runs. Balls hit farther are hit harder, that's simple physics. If one guy is hitting pop ups that fall an inch beyond a short fence in a hitter friend stadium and the other guy is hitting moonshots that would go out of any park, both easily visible to the naked eye, I'll say the latter player is more likely to hit home runs at a higher rate in the future all other variables constant. I really don't need to know the average exit velocities. Granted this is an extreme comparison. I'll grant that knowing the average exit velocity might help when comparing two very similar players, but context is everything. I'd also look at his K rate and generally how often he swings and misses. You can't hit a home run if you can't hit the ball.

In the case of veteran players with a big sample size, average exit velocity is meaningless. You are what your record says you are.
Why don't you want to know how veterans are playing in short sample sizes? Great veteran players can have abysmal numbers for a month or more. Do you not want to know if they're hitting the ball badly or if they are getting unlucky?

Are you also watching all the 410 foot line drive outs for those players?
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote