View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
Ruwisc
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
Ruwisc, your work is well-researched and well-thought out... you seem to get the essence and soul of a city... which is the way it should be in creating logos, caps and jerseys.

Not only is your work well-conceived, it is also brilliantly carried out.

I'm from New Orleans and you nailed it graphically.

The crescent image fits in very well... New Orleanians call the city, "The Crescent City"... also the "The City That Care Forgot".

I don't think New Orleans will ever get a MLB team... the fans insanely love the New Orleans Saints... also the LSU Tigers fanatically... that doesn't leave enough in the family budget for baseball, which is outrageously overpriced at the MLB level... a family of four can spent $300 for a game... tickets, drinks, peanuts and crackerjack.

No many big corporations in town, either, for corporate sponsorships, which are vital for a MLB team.

Sad to say, New Orleans is not a baseball town... nor a basketball town.

They lost the New Orleans Jazz to Utah... poor support.

I don't think the New Orleans Pelicans of the NBA will be in the city in 10 years... support is lukewarm... will only support them if they are a serious playoff contender.

Thursday, I attended the last New Orleans Baby Cakes PCL game against the Memphis Redbirds... agree with you and the entire city of New Orleans, that the "Baby Cakes" is one of the worst nicknames in baseball history... could be part of the reason for the team's lack of support... the GM said the team lost its core fans... yet he is the one who chose that ridiculous name... I called him personally and talked to him about the poor choice of nickname... he said it's all about money... Cookie Rojas is a very nice person, but it was a bad choice of nicknames... sadly, this is the way the minor league teams are going these days... choose a silly name like Montgomery Biscuits and make a lot of money.

There were more New Orleans Zephyrs caps and jerseys at the game Thursday night than Baby Cakes.

Oh, yeah... it was a very good game... lots of homers in a pitcher's ballpark... the ball is really juiced this year in baseball... New Orleans jumped out to a 5-1 lead early, but the Redbirds came back and won it on a three-run homer in the ninth... there were 5 homers in the game.

It was also Throwback Thursday... New Orleans wore the 1942 New Orleans Pelicans Home White uniform trimmed in Blue and Red... Pelican image on cap and sleeve... with two Pelicans on a bat like the St. Louis Cardinals.

Keep up your great work in this thread... I really enjoy following it.

Thank you Eugene, I appreciate your kind words and always like seeing what you have to say.

I agree that MLB in New Orleans is unlikely to happen any time soon for all the reasons you identify, but it is a shame that the AAA franchise hasn't worked out. I hope they're able to draw another team in the near future - I hear the city is attempting to entice a team from the AA Southern League, but I wonder if they might have to wait for MLB to expand and create a need for more minor league franchises. It ought to be a great city for AAA baseball.

I came across those Pelican uniforms when I was researching for the Crescents and I really enjoy them. If the NBA Pelicans didn't already exist that would have been one of my top choices for a name too.
Ruwisc is offline   Reply With Quote