View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 01:12 AM   #1
LandiHero
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Build-Your-Own Stats

I'm the type of person who loves analytics, and from time to time I try to create my own statistics. For instance, I can't stand judging a reliever by their ERA, as many relievers can blow up and give up a ton of runs, but most of the time are solid. This skews the ERA data and makes it so ERA doesn't show me if a reliever is doing their job. I feel like a reliever is doing their job when they go out and give up no runs, so I use a stat sort of like saves/save % where it shows how many of their outings they give up runs.
Example: Dellin Betances had 66 relief appearances last year, through which he had an ERA of 2.70. However, he held the opposing team to 0 earned runs 55 times, and allowed 1 or fewer runs 61 times. I feel like ERA and other stats may not show how well he did his job (which is to give up no runs when he pitches), so I instead look at this stat I made up, which I'll call a Perfect Relief Appearence, or PRA. Betances had 55 PRAs, or a 83.3 PRA%. This stat may seem similar to holds, but with a hold you can allow up to 4 runs in some situations and still get a hold. PRA shows me how reliable a relief pitcher is over each outing, which is something I value a lot.

This was a very long winded way of getting to this, but I would love if there was some way to add a build your own stat sort of mechanic in OOTP. It's a pain to calculate stats like PRA by hand, and I don't really want to do it across entire leagues. I understand that there would be so many options for making every type of stat possible, but I would greatly appreciate something along these lines.
LandiHero is offline   Reply With Quote