View Single Post
Old 10-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #4
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Battists suggestions are great! I did almost none of this when I started my first, and current, fictional save. Much of it I am sure I should have done but so far I feel like I've been pretty lucky and things are going along swimmingly (granted, I take it slowly, so only now early on in fourth season of the league.)
But one thing I did do, and totally endorse among Battists suggestions above, is keep it small to start. I set mine up to mirror MLB in 1965, so just two sub-leagues with ten teams each at the major league level. I did set it up with basically full minors (AAA down to Rookie) and a college feeder league, but that's it.
And, as suggested above, I've tried to be fairly intentional about the sorts of statistical and strategic environment I wan't the league to reflect. Though I've made mistakes along the way with this and have decided to embrace them as part of the fun. (They haven't been save breakers, just unplanned variations.)

And I guess that is the main point I am intending to make. Have fun and learn along the way. Of course, the more well-thought out your approach is at the start (which is why you should by all means heed Battists advice) the less likely this all ends in frustration and collapse. But, also embrace some surprise, some confusion, some learning moments. Part of what I love about my fictional save is the extent to which I feel like it has forced me to be more aware of the nuances of player development, in particular, and as just one example, than I was in my previous historical saves.

Now that I have started down the addictive path of the fictional OOTP universe, I can't imagine ever going back. It is such great fun!
Hope you love it too.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote