Thread: Historical sims
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2015, 01:01 AM   #5
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mking55 View Post
My viewpoint, for what it's worth, is if you have guys leave for the war, make it an option. I know it's more "realistic" if they go, but many players prefer a "what-if" scenario.

The baseball game keeps the players through the war years and even though I might have missed it, I've never heard anyone complain about that.

I don't think people buy these games for a "strict" replay but rather to create a fantasy world with what-if's in it.
Yeah, it'd definitely be optional. And there are other little details to consider, like taking Canadian players away two years before Americans go, and whether or not to make it random or take the guys who actually served. It'll be a while before I figure it out and we get it in, and there are prerequisites - the suspension system - that need to happen first.

The problem with letting everybody keep playing hockey vs. baseball is that hockey scoring stats went crazy in the war years because of the loss of talent and uneven distribution of the remaining good players. So if the big stars that missed those years actually play, they tend to get huge scoring totals in that environment that look a little odd in their history and can wind up setting single-season records that don't get broken for a long time (which actually happened, the goal record set in wartime stood for 20 years and the points record for 8 postwar, but it gets even more exaggerated in the game.)
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote