View Single Post
Old 04-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #82
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
I'm trying this strategy in a Diamond league, but my team is not loaded so it's off to a rough start.

I've been looking at the relative distribution of groundball outs to fly outs for the pitchers, since that's reported in the box scores. Even though my staff is 85% GB pitchers, it doesn't appear that they produce more GB outs. Granted that's just an anecdote, as I didn't do any real research into it, but the results did puzzle me a bit.
I'd recommend adding "GB" and "FB" to whatever view you use for your pitching staff. Those are just raw number of grounder & flyball given up by the pitcher. Seeing all the data together in one screen like that instead of just looking at individiual box scores really helps understand what's going on.

Also, the "tiers" of groundball vs. flyball pitchers are actually a mirage. Each pitcher has an expected groundball percent, which is then translated to the classification (extreme GB, etc.). So depending exactly where the cutoff thresholds are, you could for example have an "Extreme GB" and "Regular GB" guys putting almost identical results. So the distinction is not always important.

Luckily the filter ability in the player search screen works on the percentage. I have mine set up somwhere in the middle of the "GB" range. So all "extreme GB" guys are included, as well as the upper half percentage-wise of the regular "GB" guys. But not the lower half of the GB guys, they are not extreme enough for me.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote